The Three Pekes

The Three Pekes

Monday, February 21, 2011

Pete's Story

I received this wonderful story from our dear friend, Kathie the dog trainer...I have mentioned her in previous posts. Her beloved dog, Pete, passed away today. She gave me permission to share his story on my blog.

Rest in peace, Pete, and please say hello to Shasta when you cross the Rainbow Bridge. And thanks, Kathie, for letting me share, and for all the wonderful things you do for all dogs and for the people you love!!

Pete's Story  February 21, 2011June dogs 055.JPG

 In 2001, I was headed into Walgreens and there he was, a black skinny dog with a black & tan muzzle and a little black leather Spiked collar, trying desperately to get into Payless Shoe Store. Every time the door would close on him, his head would bob back and his one ear that was down would swing, the other was up giving him that smart look. Well I said "No Kathie, I can't", to myself and proceeded to walk into Walgreens deciding that the boy was street smart and would go right back home. I walked through cosmetics and was headed to the Pharmacy, and there he was right next to my leg. He got in the door.

Needless to say, there he was in my van and we were heading home, all the while I was wondering what I was going to do with this little guy and how I was going to explain him to George. When George saw him he said” this one’s cute, what’s his name?” I stammered, “Pete” remembering the name from a customer that I was pet sitting for at that time, named Petey Flood. Since I was pet sitting, I got away with it for a time. I put flyers up on the side of Bird Road that we didn’t live on so George wouldn’t see them. About 3 weeks later, George said “When is he going home?” as he was already sleeping in our bed, I said; “soon”…about a week later, I told George how Pete found me. He said “Tell me how these things keep happening to you”. I explained that no one replied to my flyers. He lived here for 10 of his 11 years. He grew up with the kids since they were young. He was our Alpha dog in this house and an excellent watch dog. I can’t imagine life without Pete. I am soooo sad and will miss him sooo much!! He acquired Diabetes in the last few weeks and had a real hard time with high sugar. He was hospitalized for 3 days. Today was a horrible! He passed away in my car, heading back to the vets office.

He is always there, watching us & the house. It seems hard to believe that just a couple of weeks ago I was scolding him for killing a coot. He was guarding it, so we would be proud of his catch….NOT!!! Now our boy is gone and I know he is in heaven waiting. He was always waiting for us and still is…  We love you Pete, Peter, Sneaky Pete, Peter Peter, Pumpkin Eater and as daddy used to call him. PEEP!!!

Well done our Good & Faithful servant!!
We love You!!


Kathie the Dog Trainerfebruary 2010 028
786-942-9450
New Puppy Consultation
Dog Obedience Training
Problem Solving                   
Transport To Vet/ Doggie Park
Pet Sitting/Boarding
Nutrition/Supplements

No comments:

Post a Comment